[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

lew>>Therefore it is interesting that you experienced that directional
sensation!
One possibility this suggests is that the flash seen on the ground from this
fireball was the actual cause of your directional sensation - and therefore
of your sensation of simultaneous sound as well?

Of course, what I fail to understand about THAT explanation, is how a flash
could provide the necessary directionality in so short a time? If anything,
I would expect the play of light and shadow from a fireball might CONFUSE
the observer as to the actual source's direction. Or am I missing something?<<

Even for a very short period of time, perhaps a meteor might give one the
same kind of sensation of a directional source as the headlights of a car
would? A car's headlight is obviously brighter than the example given by
markku, but a subtle light from even a -5 meteor suddenly appearing would be
noticeable particularly if one is looking down or anywhere other than up. If
there was any significant movement to the meteor, shadow movement might also
provide one an instinctive sense to which direction to also look for the
source of the light?
GeoZay