[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Electrophonic Sounds

OK... Just My .02 cents worth on this subject.

First, let me say that I have never heard an electrophonic sound, or a sonic
boom from any meteor in my admittedly limited experience, but neither would I
discount their existence. The thing that comes to my mind however seems so
obvious as to be almost silly.
If a person was interested in maximizing their chances of hearing
electronophic sounds, than why not magnify the number of metallic resonators
within earshot??
That is...
Why not, if you have a place where you regularly observe, and are on your own
property, or can gain permission of the property owner, attempt to Build a
structure that may be capable of resonating at multiple different frequencys??
It seems to me that if a person "Planted" 2 Tall wooden posts, perhaps 20 or
30 feet apart, say 10-12 feet tall, then attached several (the more, the
better) eye hooks to those posts, and strung metallic "antenna guy wire" from
eye hook to eye hook, you would multiply your chances of hearing these sounds
by the number of strands that you put up.
One could even use porcelain insulators to make "resonators" of different
lengths along one length of wire... Presumably one could have 20 or 30
strands, all resonating on different frequencies.
The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) has an excellent book on amature radio
antenna construction, that gives adequate treatement to the subject of
wavelength and frequency resonance.
The only possible problem that I can see with the above arraingment is that
reception may be selective as to the horizontal vs. vertical polarization,
and may be somewhat directional in its gain.
Just a thought...
Looking for yours...
Don Barnett