[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible activity on July 17?

>Pierre Martin wrote on 7/18/98:
>
>I was going through some old emails here. I came through a note posted by
>John Holtz last year about meteor activity seen on July 17th. It seems he
>is the only observer to have reported a short duration meteor outburst.
>With the moon causing only slight interference this coming weekend, it
>might be a good idea keep an eye out just in case? We never know...
>
>Is any activity theoretically possible from the 1997BR asteroid for this
>year? How close do we expect the orbits to intersect each other?
>
>Pierre

Activity from minor planet 1997 BR is theoretically possible. Based on the
newest set of orbital elements computed by Gareth Williams of the Central
Bureau, I find that the minor planet's likely radiant would be RA=174
degrees, DEC=+68 degrees, with a likely maximum of July 20. The orbit of
the minor planet is then 0.015 AU from Earth's orbit on that date.

Gary