[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) off topic II (p.s. to re: obs. data LNMA 10/11 July)

postscript to previous mail:

Lew,

actually my most 'exotic' trips so far were solely for meteors, not
archaeology!

e.g. our trip to the Qinghai high altitude desserts in
central China for the Leonids 1998; and observing the 1995 alfa
Monocerotid outburst together with Peter Jenniskens from Calar Alto
Observatory in the Spanish Sierra Nevada.

Those were far more exiting than any of my archaeological field trips. I
reckon archaeology as a profession in reality is rather boring and dirty
to most normal (...) people's standards - not the Indiana Jones movie
kind of stuff, I never had to avoid death-traps, snakes or bandits in
some jungle temple during my work so far. And neither those beautifull
women will come onto my archaeological path (allas!).
Reason enough to close this 'off topic' thread I reckon. If everybody
subscribed starts to talk about his/her professional occupations, that
will provide quite some reading (although I personally always enjoy to get
to know something about the personality behind an observing report and
table of data).

- Marco