[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radiant Diameter vs Radiant Activity

Geokelly<<
 George:  Going a little astray, it just occurred to me, the actual stream
 thickness you mention will have one effect:   The thicker (wider) the
 stream, the greater the distance Earth must travel to pass through it, and
 the greater the distance the radiant would seem to migrate across the sky
 due to Earth's motion around the Sun. <<

Yes this is correct. The radiant will drift in an easterly direction roughly
1 deg/day. Also there is about a 1/10th a deg/day drift either north or south
for most showers...but not all.

 geokelly>> If there were a stream wider than
 Earth's orbit  through which Earth was perpetually passing (yes, an
 impossibility, but bear with me a minute),  would not then the radiant move
 all the way around the sky on a circle parallel to the ecliptic -- that is,
 the radiant would always have the same ecliptical latitude during its
 journey around the sky?

I believe this is correct?
GeoZay