[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT---Thoughts on Iridiums

At 10:24 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just a thought for all of us here. What if, as seems rather likely, the
>Iridium Consortium goes bankrupt and no longer has the money to control
>their satellites. While there may be some benefit for radio atronomy, can
>you imagine the horror for visual satronomy with over 200 uncontolled
>mirrors capable of reflecting -8 magnitude flashes anywhere in the sky for
>several millenia (I don't know for sure what the deorbit time for
>satellites in that high an orbit is, but I'm sure it's QUITE long). Once
>they are not predictable, and no longer do any orbit keeping, they could
>ruin astronomy forever (ay least as far as my lifetime is concerned.
>	Now that they are up there, at some time in the future, this scenario will
>likely come to pass.
>
>I am afraid....very afraid

I must say I share your concern here. I think we have enough shi*!!! up
there already. Perhaps the devine creator knew best when he made distance a
major factor in this enormous universe of ours.
off topic & profane--sorry!

Mark Mikutis
E-mail: perseus1@pcpartnerdot net