[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Video Camera Data

Hi Dave:
    Thank's for the additional information on video cameras.  I was looking
for a camera that would let us reach fainter magnitudes with the Sandia
All-sky cameras.  Our present limit is about magnitude 0.0.  A little bit
better if the star is red.  Rob McNaught in Australia is using such a camera
and his limiting magnitude is ~0.0 also.  I was hoping to record 1st or 2nd
magnitude stars.  You can of course reach fainter magnitudes if you use a
telephoto lens  but this defeats the purpose of the all-sky camera coverage.
    I may mount such a camera on my C-14.  My dome slit is somewhat narrow
for a 14 inch.  It was designed for an 8 inch when I built it.  I have a
physical problem that prevents me from looking up which makes it difficult
to aim my telescope at objects at high elevation angles.  Such a camera may
help me aim the telescope and also keep it centered in the dome slit while
I'm doing CCD imaging.

Cheers: Ed Majden