[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: The Leonid Meteor Outburst of 1997

Hi -- thanks for your comments about the use of video to count meteors.
While it is certainly true that the field of view of the human eye is
greater than that of the  video cameras we discussed, the low-light video
cameras are far more sensitive to the quantity "meteors per steradian."
Consider the geminid shower you observed.  If you divide the number of
meteors you counted visually by the field of view in square degrees, you
will probably find that it is a lower number than the same ratio for the
video camera. Of course, in the case of showers that might be dominated by
bright meteors (the 1998 Leonids perhaps?) the human eye could win by
virtue of its greater field of view. When the magnitude distribution is
dominated by faint meteors, a video camera with 6+ limiting magnitude and a
reasonable field of view is likely to be superior.

I would also note that there is no easy way to distinguish between a single
larger meteoroid that fragmented high in the atmosphere vs. a tightly bound
clump of tiny meteoroids in an orbit roughly matching Tempel-Tuttle's from
the data we have at our disposal for the 1997 outburst.

In either case, you are correct that the mini-outburst of 1997 is not
related in a meaningful way to the great Leonid storms of the past, except
that the excellent video does hint at what a real outburst might be like
for those of us who haven't seen one first-hand.

Regards, Tony Phillips