[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: The Leonid Meteor Outburst of 1997

Rob McNaught wrote:
>it should be noted that as the Earth passes through such a narrow line of
>debris the resulting meteors will show a pronounced trend in where they
>occur. The line of debris that intersects the Earth basically moves north
>in the case of a Leonid that breaks up.

Rob, this brings up another question which I've not heard much about lately
(or perhaps I've missed in all the recent Leonid discussions and papers?)
For some time, theorists seemed to be playing with the idea that there may
be persistent, VERY fine-scale structures in the Leonid meteoroid stream:
I believe these were known as "microfilaments"?

What's the current status of observational evidence and theory for these
strange, tiny, persistent structures? Maybe Dr. Jenniskens or Dr. Hawkes
could help fill in the list on the latest in this research - as well as
Joe Rao or Dr. Brown, whom I've also enticingly cc'd on this one...  :)

Clear skies all!
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: