[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: The Leonid Meteor Outburst of 1997

Lew,
I must admit ignorance of any theories of micro-fine structure in the
Leonids.  It would surprise me greatly that these could be formed in a
resonance but a recent breakup of a large particle would certainly do the
trick.  Even if such structures exist, there is the observational problem
that because the Earth passes through such structures in a skew path, the
structure passes from south to north at a speed of about 600km/min.  It
would be a real challenge for observational data to be collected about
such an occurrence.  The Greenwich observations in 1866 could conceivably
show some fine structure, but that data may not be reliable.  David Asher
and I discuss the topocentric effects for the Leonids (and in general) in
an article submitted to Meteorit. Planet. Sci. and the next WGN should
also have a brief discussion of it.

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au