[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Automated video detection of meteors or why the heck am I out here at 3am?

I agree with Sirko and Franklin that even with a worldwide network of
video cameras it is not going to replace the lowly visual observer. Even
if I had such a system would I quit watching? Definitely not as I enjoy
the aesthetics of being out under the stars, hearing the crickets and
owls, and breathing the clean crisp air the morning has to offer.

When I started watching meteor showers I had no idea that my counts
could be scientifically useful. When I discovered that others could use
my data in shower analysis, well that was just icing on the cake! It was
also the motivation I needed to get out as much as possible on those
nights when you may be the only one on the planet recording meteors at
that particular time.

So if the day arrives when the visual observing is outdated I will still
be out enjoying the scene. I will admit though that I would probably
pass on the opportunity of observing in February for 10 hours in -10C
temperatures under a full moon! Let the video camera freeze its lens
off!

Cheers!

Bob

> George wrote:
>
> > Get about a dozen of these video cameras working worldwide and soon > > there won't be any need for visual observers recording data. Might > > as well take up fishing or prospecting.  :o)
>
> And Jure added:
>
> > I sure do agree with George! We have to put an end to this!!
> > Sirko stop it... ...or else :))
>
> Sirko Molau wrote:
>
> Well folks, if _you_ promise to observe next February 10 hours each
> night at -10 deg centigrade, full moon, and minimum sporadic activity,
> I'll switch off my system. :-)
>
> You should see that not as something competiting with visual
> observers, but as an useful addition. Everybody knows how big the gaps > in monitoring meteor activity through the year are, even if we collect > data from all over the world. Video systems will help to make these
> gaps smaller, and to overcome them eventually.
>
> Sirko

Follow-Ups: References: