[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Automated video detection of meteors or why the heck am I out here at 3am?

Robert Lunsford wrote:
I agree with Sirko and Franklin that even with a worldwide network of
video cameras it is not going to replace the lowly visual observer. Even
if I had such a system would I quit watching? Definitely not as I enjoy
the aesthetics of being out under the stars, hearing the crickets and
owls, and breathing the clean crisp air the morning has to offer.

Bob says it perfectly....and as one who has been watching and counting meteors nearly 20 yrs now,
that my meteorobs have now become "useful scientific data" is just the icing on the cake.... Likewise,  just
because we have Keck I and II, HST, etc.. Has this discouraged folks from going to their backyards and peering
at Saturn with a lowly 4" DOBs.. or whatever    I think not!

Joseph
San Diego, CA