[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Video LM and Rates (was The Leonid Meteor Outburst of 1997)

Sirko,

As I was saying to Rob, Geoff has my system, so if I want to restart
video observing I'm going to have to start from scratch.

STANO seem to have a 155mm of undefined f-ratio.  This may be available
separately.

> I don't have an adress at hand, but most night vision systems are sold
> with optics attached. I have seen many systems with an 1.5/100mm lens, so
> it should be not too difficult to get one at reasonable prices.

Yes, and unfortunately, at both ends.  For visual use the photocathodes
are small and hence have a narrower field of view for a given lens.
They're also infra-red sensitive, many with IR illumination.  I'd like
a system where the objective was interchangeable to give wide-angles
too.

Digital camcorders are coming down in price, and I may wait until
they're affordable.  The STANO intensifier tubes might be fine too.
They have 25mm ones at $225 for so-so quality and $950 for excellent
quality.  I'll need to find their specifications.  So many sites don't
provide the specs like spectral response and distortion.  I never saw
my latest tube running in Oxfordshire to see if the distortion was much
less than for earlier intensifiers.

Then there's the small matter of being PC-less and possible A-to-D
converter.  So it might be a while.  I'm easing myself back into meteor
astronomy again dealing with some overdue telescopic matters, catching
up with the literature, and being involved on meteorobs.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: