[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Automated video detection of meteors

me>>Not too many visual observers are able
>to make significant contributions compared to the use of modern equipment.<<

jim>>Not true.  The variable star community, the asteroid folks, the comet
hunters have all gone through this debate. <<

Yes the variable star community. But when was the last time someone
discovered an asteroid or comet with the naked eye? This is what I'm talking
about when I say visual meteor observer....naked eye observing like we do
when we record meteor data.

 jim>>Even with all the CCD sky surveys out there
looking for NEOs, who discovered the last comet?  Some amateur out there
looking, and there it was at _8th_ magnitude!  <<

I bet he didn't discover it with the naked eye as this discussion is about?

jim>>The variable star observers
are out there doing the same thing.  They are providing long-term
monitoring of stars that are just not monitored any other way.  They act as
spotters for the "big boys" with their satellite equipment and big
telescopes on eruptive variables. <<

This is about the only area where naked eye observers are still of some real
use after automated video camera's reduce the value of visual meteor
observers. But in this case most use binoculars or cameras and the sort still.

 jim>> Just as the sky is endless,
there will always be endless room for amateur work in astronomy.<<

There is room for the amateur doing professional like work in astronomy, but
how much work can be done by the naked eye observer when high tech equipment
is being introduced?
geozay