[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) re: Watching For Fun

On July 22, 1999, Gregg M. Pasterick wrote:
>Count me in, Bob, where watching for fun is concerned.
>
>I was once told, by one of our illustrious meteor-watchers, that
>what I did  - (my >annual hobby of compiling Perseid observations,
>puttin' 'em all together in a catalog full of tables and graphs and
>a long narrative which quoted the oo's and ah's of observers, and
>sending it to those who sent me their observations) - was worthless and a
>waste of time. He couldn't seem to grasp the fact that I was doing it
>'cause I enjoyed it.
>
>The only reason I watch meteors is for the fun of it. The poetry. The
>subtle whisperings of the grandness of the universe. I have written songs,
>poetry and articles inspired by the night sky.....the articles being
>published locally, the songs and poetry for my own well-being.
>
>It is strictly for fun, and we all need more fun in our lives.

I am certainly a fan of Gregg's writings and I have said so in the past! I
am glad he is back on the list and look forward to his future observations,
including the oo's and ah's. I think this type of writing is important to
those just getting in to meteor observing. I mean if you were curious about
observing meteors would you want to see something like Gregg's personal
reports that very well represent what all of us have felt when a bright
fireball was seen, or when rates were higher or lower than expected? Or
would you want to be hit with lots of technical info like radiants,
velocities, ZHR's, etc. I think Gregg's writings would be more appealing!

Please let my own personal experience be an example here. I did report my
observations on the Leonids in 1997 and 1998. These included magnitude
estimates, counts, color estimates, train durations, etc. Nice and
technical. They did not include the facts that several fireballs lit up the
landscape and sent tingles down my spine! Or the thrill of watching meteor
trains slowly become distorted by high altitude winds over a period of
several minutes. Gregg's reports will let you experience those feelings!

Meteor observing is like any other hobby or job--get as serious as you want
with it, but step back once in a while and check if your initial desires
have changed for better or worse. Do you still enjoy it or have you grown
to hate it? Some people never stop and evaluate themselves. They don't
realize they are ruining it for others. For the younger people, or anyone
who is just getting into meteor observing, they put out the fire of desire
before it ever gets going.

I am surprised at the nitpicking some people do on this meteor observing
list. Is this the reason they got into meteor observing in the first place?
I'd like to think not! I also hate to think what it would be like to meet
people like this in real life. Always getting the last word in and being
critical of virtually every statement that is made by others.

If someone wants to plot, that is great. If someone wants to use video
equipment, that is great. If someone wants to count, that is great. If
someone just wants to watch, that is great. All of these methods are
valuable in the long run and when someone takes the info gleaned from each
of these observers he or she is presented with a very complete look at a
particular meteor radiant or a particular night's activity.

Why don't some people out there just stop the nitpicking and try to start
enjoying themselves a little more. Or just leave. Either way, the list will
be better off.

Sincerely,
Gary