[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) re: Watching For Fun

Hello All,

I couldn't resist jumping in on this thread.  All of the postings I have read seem to agree that there is a place for all types of observers.  I for one do it (all too rarely) just for the feeling of pure awe at the vast plan of which we are but a nearly infinitesimal part.  If you want another clue, read Robert Lunsford's July 22 post for his comments about Orion.  I also take my 10-year-old out with me.  He enjoys looking and learning.  What I am trying to do is pique his interest in the natural sciences.  In adddition to meteor watching and star gazing, we also birdwatch, hike, look at plants and animal signs, and just enjoy nature.  Maybe I will have a budding scientist someday, or maybe he'll wind up selling shoes (no slight intended, just an illustration).  In any case, I hope he will enjoy the wonders of nature as I do.

As far as video observing goes, if it contributes to the science of the thing, do it !!!  Just because we have instant satellite communications with anywhere in the world hasn't stopped radio amateurs from enjoying their hobby.  Why should video stop us, even those who are more serious about observing than I?

Perhaps a bit more sophisticated equipment for recording times and observations for the serious visual observers is in order.  I'm thinking of a way to get the highly accurate time signals from the GPS constellation onto one track of a stereo tape recorder.  As this is happening, the observer could be recording his observations on the other channel.  This method, if employed widely, could give some accurate correlation to meteor reports from multiple sites.  If I have a little free time, I'll try to play with the idea and see if I can at least come up with a paper design.

I am about to leave the ever cloudy New England skies for the Seattle area.  I hear that's not an improvement, but we'll see.  I'll be out there for the next 6 to 8 months.  If anyone can suggest any good dark sky sites in the area, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks and clear skies,

Howard T.