[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: NM past South Delta Aquarid rates

Kim,

Although some observers have more years of observing experience than
I do, I have had good success with late July nights for the past few
years. Late July is usually consistently clear for me, and makes it
easier to view the SDA activity as well as all the minor showers in
the south. Because I am at 45 degrees latitude, the SDA radiant never
rises quite high in the sky. Rates can be decent but not really
spectacular. With a brightening moon in the sky, the many faint
members of SDA will be unseen. I have seen only a few brighter SDA's,
but no fireball from them yet. Norman's data was interesting. When
time allows, I'll see if I can post some data in a similar way for
years 1995 to 1998.

I feel it's a good idea not to get overwhelmed with too many
radiants. It's much better, as you say, to be careful with shower
association. This way, your data is much more reliable. With time,
the more minor showers can be monitored, but it requires far more
care as accidental sporadic alignment can happen easily.

It seems to me that the SDA's produce fairly dependable rates every
year when the moon is abscent. The SDA's should be a relatively old
diffuse shower, which is why its activity period is spread over so
many days. With time, I feel this shower will follow a trend of
gradual decreasing rates, and the peak will become even more broader
and less obvious.

For velocities, it often happens for me to call different but not
always close velocities for a shower. It all depends mainly on the
distance of the meteor from the radiant. Sometimes it involves
whether the meteors are seen in the early evening or before dawn.
Evening meteors can appear to move slower, as they have to catch up
more with earth. With the swift Perseids (59 km/sec), I usually call
most meteors as a 5 or a 4. Short Perseids close to the radiant can
appear as 3 or even 2 if they are seen coming right out on an almost
head-on path. If I'd ever see a Perseid *directly* on the radiant as
a tiny star like flash, I would call it a *0* (stationary)! So, it
all depends mainly on perspective.

I agree that very short meteors are difficult to assign correctly,
especially the faint ones. Unless I face the radiant, most head-on
meteors occur on the edge of my field of view. When no trains are
produced, I'm sometimes left wondering if I really saw something. For
the Perseids, I always like to face a little further from the radiant
to catch many of the longer paths meteors, which the eye sees more
easily anyway. For me, an optimum field of view is about 30 degrees
away from the radiant, and at least more than half way up to the
zenith from the horizon (60-70 degrees high).

By the way, I quite enjoy reading all your reports!
Clear skies for Perseids,

Pierre