[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing for an x-numer of years?

On several occasions someone would post a message that would include the
statement that they've been observing for 20, 25, 30 or whatever years. I've
always wondered what a statement like this actually meant? For example, if
someone said they "Have been observing for 20 years". Does, this mean they
have observed with a Teff (actuall observing time) of 20 years? Or perhaps
watched their first metoer shower some 20 years ago and may have not seen
another since? Maybe it means they've watched their first shower 20 years ago
and have seen a major shower or two each year ever since? Now if that wasn't
puzzling enough, the question comes to mind as to what kind of experience was
gained during their observations? Did they merely observe as a spectator or
did they follow a standardized observing plan all this time? During these
"many years" of observing, did they gain experience with a variety of showers
with a variety of activity under varying conditions? Or does this mean they
watched the same shower (Perseids for example) 20 times with little "hands
on" time for the other 364 days each year?

Another expression that some people use to denote their observing experience
is with the number of meteors they either recorded data on or simply counted.
If an individual states he's been observing for 20 years and have counted
20,000 meteors during that time, this could conceivably mean this person
might have only observed 2 or 3 nights a year recording Perseids or Geminids?
I've always regarded the major showers as "bag fillers" or "tally padding"
with very little variety in experience to be gained. Sorta like a fisherman
throwing in hundreds of bait fish in with their take home catch. I think an
individual who plotted on 5 ordinary nights of the year for 3 Teff hours each
and tallying only 150 meteors has accomplished more than an observer who
recorded 1000 meteors on three, six hour nights of Perseids and/or Geminids.

Anyhow, for those who announce their meteor observing experience in this
fashion, I think that if they added a little more information to qualify
their experience it would be more meaningful to the reader?
GeoZay