[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NM South Delta Aquarid ZHR

          Thanks (in no particular order) Pierre, Robert, Wayne, and
George.  You've all helped resolve a couple of lingering doubts I have
had about my observing sessions.

          Bob wrote..."This led to me abandonment of the numeric scale
in favor of estimating both length and duration which produces an
estimate of the angular velocity." I found this and his subsequent
remarks very intriguing and useful. I certainly don't think this is
unnecessary mental exercise.  Sound like an excellent way to sprout new
neurons, to me!  I'm just glad I'm a newbie and DON'T have to worry
about all that math!

         In a way, I agree with George about questioning what is meant
by "x-number of years observing."  Yet most honest folk, I guess, would
state "I used to observe about twenty years ago" rather than "I have
been observing for twenty years" if in fact it had been twenty tears
since they observed.  But others, who may have been observing
sporadically for the past twenty years might indeed try to convey undue
authority with such a statement.  We should ask the person, if possible,
to qualify the statement.

        Action speaks louder than words, anyway.  Through my reading and
research, even before I attempted to become an "official" observer, I
bumped into certain, now-familiar names time and again -- among these
being Norman McCloud and Robert Lunsford.  This kind of recognition
comes through hard work and lends the type of authority that vague
statement like "Well, now, I've been observing for 83 years now and I
just don't believe there ARE any Quadrantids," will ever achieve!
                             Outbursts, Everyone!      Kim Youmans