[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Angular velocities

>There is nothing that can be determined with angular speed estimates that
>can't be estimated just about as accurately [when] one uses speed scales.

This is sure one poster's opinion here. However, the above seems to imply
this is also the opinion of Malcolm, Bob and others: that doesn't seem to
be the case, I think? Malcolm's comments suggest to me that a rigorous
angle/duration estimate is FAR more useful for minor shower analysis than
a simple 1-5 estimate... After all, any "conversion scheme" from 1-5 into
angular speed would have to assume a radiant distance is known: naturally,
if a minor shower's radiant is what one is seeking, it doesn't make sense
to assume radiant distances for the observed meteors a priori, does it?

Anyway, as always, we're all entitled to our opinions here. :)

Clear skies and accurate plots everybody!
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: