[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Angular velocities

I think Malcolm's point needs to be restated, as there is apparently
some confusion as to what he was saying?

"Likewise there is the plotting uncertainty which broadens this spread,
and gives rise to a lateral probability distribution. Without the speed
you just have a fuzzy great circle."

Again, the intersection of one's plot paths gives a rough approximation
as to a radiant point: however without angular speeds, it is impossible
to IMPROVE on this using the speed-elevation-radiant-distance relation.
In effect, you'd end up having to ASSUME where the radiant lies - based
on a mere handful of possibly "sporadic-polluted" path alignments - in
order to make this same (circular) estimate based on the 1-5 Scale.

Again, though - and *ESPECIALLY* for beginning observers - George Zay
makes a good point that "the simpler the data gathering method for the
observer, the better". The key is to not make the method too simple to
gather needed data. For my first few years back with active observing,
after being away for 12 years, the 1-5 Scale did an admirable job!

Interesting thread all - thanks! And on that note, good night. :)

Lew