[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Angular velocities

GeoZay wrote:
> In what way, essentially the same results can't be derived from using speed
> scales and only by angular speed estimates? I know Malcolm and Bob prefer the
> angular speed determination method, but that doesn't mean another scheme

Oh do you? (-:  If I returned to visual observing, I'd probably attempt
angular speed; but for telescopic I use a scale.

> lew>>Malcolm's comments suggest to me that a rigorous
>  angle/duration estimate is FAR more useful for minor shower analysis than
>  a simple 1-5 estimate... <<
>
> Again in what way? I haven't heard any examples yet. He gave me one minor
> disadvantage that doesn't stop Rainer from still being able to analyse and I
> gave a more practical reason where a speed scale is better than
> angle/duration estimates that would reduce possible plotting errors.

I'd like to see a direct comparison of the methods so we can tell
whether or not the scale is better or not.  As I said there is still
some debate.  If the evidence were unambiguous, the method didn't matter,
then go for the easier or more comfortable method.  I think a scale of
five loses some information, which is why I adopted six-step scale for
telescopic.

> I think
> it would be more important to get good data first and worry about minor
> computer program problems later.

It's an analysis problem.  The software makes it tractable.  If it's
minor, please can I just send off observations to you George to work
out a calibration for me?

> The disadvantage that malcolm presented is
> essentially a software program problem....not any failures with what can or
> cannot be determined with the speed scale method.

Latter clause is true.  It's the number and calibration of those steps
that's TBD.

Malcolm