[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Matrox Meteor

Malcolm,

> For those of you interested in video observation there's a
> Matrox Meteor Frame Grabber Video Card for auction on ebay.
>    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=138251443

just to add: This is the type of frame garbber most European video meteor
observers own since it's the one my MetRec meteor detection software is
supporting.

There are two versions of the Meteor, the Meteor I and the newer Meteor
II board. The one that is offered is the older one. The main difference is
the lower data transfer speed to the computer's main memory, which is the
main bottleneck for real-time software. That is, the meteor
detection performace will be worse than the one you get with a Meteor II
(peak transfer rates of 130 instead of 45 MB/s) unless you compensate for
that by using a faster PC.

Anyway, the current offer of $27 is a real bargain. The card is about $500
when you buy it. I think I'll bid $50. :-)

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *