[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) An Introduction and a question or two

Hello David,
               I for one would relish reading over your observations.
And no doubt there are several on the list who, in addition to simply
getting to read recent observations from England, would be intereseted
in seeing how your reports are formatted.
                Kim S. Youmans

David's Private Email Account wrote:

>   Greetings all members of the MeteorObs List I have been 'lurking' on
> the list distribution for a couple of months now and feel it's about
> time I introduced myself to the rest of the list members. Briefly
> then, my name is David Swain and I live in England, the Cotswolds to
> be more precise and for those of you who don't know England very well
> the Cotswolds are about 120km west and north of London. I have been an
> amateur astronomer for many years (28 to be precise) and a member of
> the British Astronomical Association since 1977. My interests, in
> astronomy, are, at various times, variable stars, meteor observing
> (hence my presence on this list) and satellite observing. All of my
> observing endeavours have been erratic over the last decade or so but
> pretty constant and intense for the previous years. I have been meteor
> observing seriously again for the last year or so after an almost 8
> year layoff so I feel like a novice again. In my time I have been
> involved in both visual, telescopic and photographic meteor observing
> although now just visual. Enough of the rambling introduction and time
> for the questions, the first is, I see some of the list members post
> their observations to the list on a regular basis so would it be
> useful for me to post my observations as well? If so in what format
> would this be acceptable as I currently use the BAA meteor report
> format which includes time, magnitude, shower membership, approximate
> track and notes (train, explosion, sounds etc.). My second question is
> to do with meteor plotting, about 15 years ago I was a member of
> another meteor observing organisation called, I think the BMS (British
> Meteor Society??) and as part of the membership package they included
> a set of plotting maps on about 8 or 10 sheets covering the whole sky.
> Can anyone tell me where I can get a similar set of plotting maps as
> this is something I would like to start again. Cheers Dark skies and
> dry air  David

Follow-Ups: References: