From: damoursd@DFO-MPO.GCdot ca
To: p.martin@cyberusdot ca
Subject:  meteor observation
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:03:26 -0400

Last night (27 July 1999) I observed a SPECTACULAR meteor (I guess it would
be called a bolide) around 10-10:30 while chating about backyard astronomy
with my neighbours in my backyard (in Orleans, east of Ottawa). I was facing
east, and the bolide appeared at ca. 45 degrees above the horizon in the
south-east, and traveled roughly toward the north. The path was slighly
tilted down, and the meteor disappeared at about 35-40 degrees above the
horizon. The meteor was fast, but not shooting - you could see that it was
sparkling along it path. The whole path covered an estimated 40 degrees of
the shy dome. Most particular about the meteor was that in the first 2/3 of
its course, its trail was of constant luminosity and with hints of orange
colour; suddenly, for the last 1/3 of its course, the intensity of light
greatly augnmented, and the trail became white hot while sparkling even
more. Very suddenly, the whole thing vanished in a spectacular celestial
mini-firework. I can't believe that no one else saw that meteor. Do you have
other reports of this meteor?

Denis D'Amours
damoursd@DFO-MPO.GCdot ca