[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Automated video detection...

[Forwarded with permission.]

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:49:25 -0400
From: Rainer Arlt <100114.1361@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Automated video detection...
To: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>

Hi Lew,

Thank you for fowarding this good and evaluating contribution. Let me
comment on some of your points:

>Naturally, the IMO method per se has only been in use for about
>20 years (essentially), but as papers by Dr. Jenniskens, Joe Rao,
>Rob McNaught, David Asher and others have amply demonstrated
>recently, there is still significant information to be gleaned from
>calibrating current records (gained by whatever method) with
>historical observations.

Indeed, there is a lot which can be done. What we call the IMO method is
nothing which fell from the sky some time ago, it is actually made up by
all the experiences from numerous observers who have observed before.
This is why a lot of the material from pre-IMO times is readily usable
for the Visual Meteor Database (from the 1970s and 80s in particular).

>4) All facets of amateur astronomical science face the same question
>today: what is the value of our contribution in the face of huge advances
>in professional observing technology? The answer (in most areas)
>continues to be: there is always a niche for the low-cost, low-tech
>observer, created by a lack of consistent money, time or other
>resources for more complex technologies.

Yes, professional technology may have good accuracy, but it's a not
available in a global network. The successful proving of the independent
Leonid models of Peter Brown and David Asher by visual observations would
not have been possible even with most perfect video system: They were at
the wrong place. Radar systems suffer from difficulties in converting
their numbers into real activity measures (fluxes), since the geometric
corrections are much more complex than the visual. The other way round,
image-intensified video systems are gradually moving into the amateur's
budget.

Finally, long-term time series of observations can't be done by pro-
fessionals, since grants are hardly covering more than 3-5 years. An
amateur can spend a whole life on meteors and constantly contribute!

Congratulations for your wedding, and have a successful AMC.

Best wishes, Rainer

------- End of Forwarded Message