[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Matrox Meteor

Ed,

I see that you've found and bid on the other Matrox I mentioned.  As you
implied that you didn't want it now, I didn't give the URL.  Also I was
already bidding for it too!

> [...]  My original intention was to hook it up to
> a Sandia Labs Video All-sky camera.  Monitoring the VHS tapes during non
> shower periods is worse than watching paint dry.

I know exactly what you mean.  Automation is the way to go.  This was my
goal when I started investigating video over a decade ago.

>     As for spectroscopy, I normaly use film cameras.  I have a 4X5 F-2.9 - 8
> inch focal length Aero Camera fitted with an objective prism and a 2 1/4
> square F-2.8 - 75mm fitted with a precision blazed 600 g/mm transmission
> grating.  The grating will be moved over to a recently acquired Hasselblad
> with an F-2.8 - 80 mm lens.

That's some impressive kit.

>     I'm just experimenting with my image intensifier.  Resolution will not
> be nearly as good as film but that is the only way to reach fainter
> magnitudes.  Professional programs use image orthicons and sec vidicon
> tubes.

That's what we had in the "MeteorIC" cameras.

> The problem with the image intensifier that I have, is that the
> image area is only 25 mm in diameter.  This is fine for direct photography

There are 40mm tubes available, but they're quite expensive.

Thanks for the URLs.  I was familiar with your and Jiri's work, just not
the latest using image intensifiers.  I'd also like to hear more about
the extraction of the spectra from the films and data reduction.

> PS.  I'm thinking of getting a Power Mac G-3.  They have video capture
> capability so a capture card may not be needed.  The only problem is getting
> the appropriate software.  I'm not a programmer!  Perhaps IRAF running under
> Linux could do this.  They are coming out with a Mac version, probably this
> fall, if things go well.

*R*F! Ugh! (-:  Having worked for Starlink for many years, I do my data
reduction with Starlink software mostly.  There's a friendly rivalry.
Both systems have good points and bad points.  With Starlink I can run
applications in a pipeline, as it's an open system.  To keep the number
of operating systems down, we've stuck to kit from Sun, Digital, and PC
(Linux).  The PCs go like the clappers.  Even an obsolete 333Mhz Pentium
II easily out performs any Sun box we have at the observatory.  Combine
that with cheap multi-GB storage many professionals do their data
reduction on PC/Linux systems.  The Starlink code is portable so could
be made to run under HP or Mac.  IRAF is the de facto standard so I can
understand your decision.

Malcolm