[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: Fireball? Or Meteor? Or just a flare?

kelvin<< It's visual magnitude was estimated to be about -5.0 (taking into
 account the brightness of the full moon). It lasted for about 4 seconds
 and was bright yellow (the colour of a ball of fire to be exact). It was
 unlike the streak of light in the case of sporadic meteors, and not at
 all similar to the Leonids which I have witnessed back in November 1998.
 And it had no tracks visible to our eyes.
     Therefore, I would like to ask if other similar sightings have been
 reported or if what I have seen is nothing but a military flare. Please
 comment. Thanks!

Kelvin, it doesn't sound like a flare. It also doesn't sound like a satellite
of any kind....too short in duration. The magnitude and duration indicates to
me right off hand to being a meteor. Maybe a S. delta Aquarid? It peaked on
that night.  I do not know what you mean by "That it was unlike the streak of
light in the case of sporadic meteors". What was different about it? How fast
did it appear to move? Did it appear faster than an airplane, satellite? Or
more powerful than a locomotive maybe? :o)
GeoZay