[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: (meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: Fireball? Or Meteor? Or just a flare?

Could this have been an Iridium flare?
Per my SatSpy program, Iridium 18 would have been making a pass at that
time.
On the average, a typical Iridium pass lasts 12 minutes with a magnitude of
5 to 8 but if one of its three antenna are at the right angle to the sun, a
flash will be observed during the pass, lasting 2 to 3 seconds with a
magnitude of -4 to -8 (depending on the relative angle between the
observer, the antenna and the sun).