[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Angular Speed Equations

<<
 jim<<
  As Malcolm pointed out, a good angular speed measurement can be used to
  roughly estimate the shower radiant position, when combined with the path
  length.  >>

I forgot to add....a good angular speed measurement can be used to roughly
estimate the shower radiant position for one meteor, when combined with the
path length, IF you have good alignment as well. Without good alignment and
any intersects, it's anybodies guess.  How do you know if a visual observers
alignment isn't off for any one meteor? You don't. This is the reason for
visual observing purposes, a  known radiant location is enlargened. I
personally prefer multiple intersects to direct me into estimating a new
radiant position. I still haven't seen any practical use for angular speed
estimates other than shower association. Just like the speed scale I use.
geozay