[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Angular Speed Equations

>If you have 2 or more meteors that intersects to give one
>a reason to think about a possible  radiant position, the
>position area becomes obvious.

George, I don't know how many more ways I can explain it,
but I'll give it one last try, mainly for the benefit of
newcomers to our list who may be wondering about the same
question... Again as you yourself pointed out, any meteor
plot has an inherent error associated with it. The point
we've been trying to help you understand is that, due to
this error, a series of four or five meteor plots really
has no reliable "point of intersection" - even if you're
lucky enough to have five plots with very diverse angles
to the radiant, relative to one another! (And of course,
in practice, at least two or 3 of these will actually be
near one another in the sky, and so not be very diverse.)

As a result, Malcolm and Bob have suggested we plotters
find ways of reducing that inherent "uncertainty region"
in the radiants of as-yet-unconfirmed new minor showers.
And one of the best ways to reduce the error is by trying
to make a precise measurement of angular speed: obviously,
like with the plot itself, any visual estimate of speed
is bound to have errors inherent in it. HOWEVER (here's
where you need to start reading over again), the belief
is that these approximate angular velocities, along with
an approximate set of intersections, can produce a MORE
PRECISE possible radiant area - thus confirming (or else
disproving) the possible shower more conclusively... In
effect, we're reducing "degrees of freedom" on radiants.

Seriously, I'm getting married in three days and can't
take the time to hash this out any further. But I offer
George the same advice I've given many newcomers in the
past when something is unclear: read it over, think on
it for a few days, come up with COGENT questions, and
then get back to the list! Debate by email barrage will
not convince anyone else on this list of ANYTHING: but
thoughtful discussion and well-designed questions may!

Clear skies all,
Lew