[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Again possible Dutch Meteorite (more contemplation now)

Hello,

As you all have read, I returned rather excited from my inspection of the
object that 'impacted' at Weert (The Netherlands) July 22 and might be a
iron meteorite. In my initial excitement, perhaps my first message was a
little bit too excited and the story needs some more quiet contemplation,
provided below.

What I want to make clear (and fear did not quite come through in my
initial message) is that there still are considerable questionmarks. The
shape of the object is that odd that it might well turn out to be NOT a
meteorite after the chemical analysis. That is what I want to make clear;
it is far from established yet. However, after what I've seen this
afternoon at the Aviation Police office, I feel that there certainly is a
possibility. But we really have to await the results of the analysis, and
only then will be able to judge properly. Note that this might take some
time, it is holliday time here and half of the country has taken days of
to see the August 11 eclipse.

Regards!

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society