[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids during eclipse?

 message from Marco Langbroek via Casper ter Kuile;

Thomas Ashcraft wrote:

>Are there possibilities of witnessing a Perseid meteor during eclipse
>totality on August 11? I think the Perseid radiant will be above the
>horizon during the time of totality in Europe, won't it?

Yes, in the French part of the totality zone the radiant is about 45
degrees altitude. No doubt 'somewhere' on the totality zone a Perseid will
be sighted; but for any given location chances in itself remain small.
Totality lasts only 2 minutes, and  you all know that with 45 degrees
radiant altitude, chances for Perseid appearance in a narrow 2 minute
period are not that large (but not unlikely small either!).
Another setback is the sky brightness during totality; it isn't total
darkness, only the brightest celestial objects (planets, brightest stars)
are visible. Thus, the Perseid has to be bright as well.

There is a contest in the Netherlands with a reward for the Dutch amateur
that captures a perseid on photo/video along with the eclipsed sun.

>A large Perseid fireball during eclipse totality would be dramatic..

YES! I am going  to see the eclipse (if weather cooperates) in France, and
I am hoping, hoping, dreaming,.........!

- Marco Langbroek (the Netherlands)

Casper ter Kuile, Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)
Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Tel. +(31)-30-2203170, Fax. +(31)-30-2202695
GSM-BEN: +(31)-6-24242445, GSM-KPN: +(31)-6-53270844
E-mail_1: pegasoft@accu.uudot nl
E-mail_2: dms-web@wxsdot nl
DMS website: http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/index.html