[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Blue pre-Meteor Train

Thank you both, Casper ter Kuile and Marco langbroek, for the
information  about your sightings by video during the Sino-Dutch
Leonid Expidition of high altitude ilumination of meteor trains in the
infared zone up to 180 km. This helps validate the report by I.S.
Astapovich and his 1947-50 sightings of the blue pre-meteor trains and
his assessment of their altitude at 120-160 km. I guess I'll make a
post of the information in this report, three paragraphs, so anyone
can have a record of this report so far ahead of proof.

       I wanted to comment on how the pre-meteor train may be our
elusive Dark Meteors and the Dark Line Events (DLEs) I have reported.
I've said on several occasions that the DLEs were probably above 45
miles (72 km) and may be as high as 100 miles (160 km page A-3
Alastair), I also said on metoerobs on 8 Feb. '99 that Dark Line
Events may be visible in the infared with photographic or video
equipment.

       Are we talking about the same things? If so, then my location
may be a prime pre-meteor train observation location. I had asked
Peter Jenniskens of NASA/SETI/ARC about a year ago for a supervised
shoot with 25 hours of video tape to record, if possible with a UV and
IR sensitive cameras, the DLEs and LLEs for scientific study. No reply
to that e-mail but I still believe it may be worth considering.

       As I told Alastair, I have a golf driving range out of sight
just 1 1/2 miles away that's like a white light beacon into the sky,
maybe that's why I can see so many Dark Meteors/DLEs (I live just 30
miles from Palomar Observatory and how the driving range got
permitted, I don't know, we do have low light street lights).

       Thanks again for the information, I'll re-post your e-mail to
Alastair McBeath, I'm sure he will appreciate it too.

                               Dave English