[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:NM1999Aug10/11 Perseids better

No time to write up everything now ; will just say the Perseids did improve
at last.  Four complete hours 126 - 526 AM EDT  (526 - 926 UT) had Perseid
rates 3,10,6,12 in skies 7.0 to 7.3.  The brighter members had some very
intense colors.  I did see not one, but two, Kappa Cygnids also ; the second
was an orange +2m.  And I achieved the first hours this summer with total
rates above 20/hour.  Sure makes it a lot more interesting to watch.  Now
1.5 days before maximum ; I hope to break 20/hour tonight.

Rates from others reporting Perseids in the 20's/hour  are rather much as I
would expect ; all the observers have twice my perception at least part of
the time.  Pierre must have got very lucky on Aug 9  with a Perseid rate 4
times what I would expect for the date.  Half of that comes from his
final-hour perception surge which I have noticed in the past.   The period
Aug 6 to 9 has been quite level and flat for me with Perseids just under 10/hr.

SteveH has a correction for the previous night on UT time I watched:

>>I observed for 3:10 hours covering 130 - 440 AM EDT (530 - 740 UT)
>
>Hi, Norm: you typoed the hours above: should have been 0530-0840 UT!
>
>SteveH

Correction noted.  The weather pattern seems stable for now with clearing by
midnight each evening, so I have a good chance of seeing the max night.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Asst Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society