[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NM1999Aug11/12 Perseids improving

Another night just completed, observed 126 - 526 EDT again (526 -  926 UT)
and recorded Perseid rates 13,19,15,19 in sky LM 7.0,6.8,7.0,6.0.  Thin
cirrus was threatening most of the night and a bunch of it covered the sky
for the last hour.  I continued on until 604 Eastern and saw a few more.
Probably could have passed 20 Perseids the last hour had it been fully
clear.  None of the nights in August have been as good as the ones in July,
but I am thankful to be doing this well.  There were two  -5m Perseids : one
white-blue with 45-second train only 2 degrees long very near the radiant,
the other orange with 15-second train.  I also got 3 nice Kappa Cygnids, two
0m and one +1m, and three different colors : orange, blue, and yellow.

The same 4 hours in 1975 with the same calendar circumstances for Perseid
max yielded 17,25,36,35 Perseids.  Then the same hours on Aug 12/13 I
recorded Perseid rates of 26,40,30,35 (first and third hours had some
clouds).  Looks like both nights were about the same that year with normal
peak rates.  I hope that isn't the case in 1999.  It will require a doubling
tomorrow morning just to get back to my historic normals.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Asst Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society