[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FW:From: "Shelby Ennis, W8WN" Subject: Poor Perseids

Messages continue to trickle in, as occasional overdense bursts are now
heard on 144.2.  But *all* reports so far (1525 UTC) say about the same
thing - "dismal," "poorest Perseids in years," "no early peak at all,"
"worst ever in many years of operating," etc.  Many are still hoping for a
later-than-predicted second peak, so the ionospheric is still being kept
hot at this time (and, the number of overdense bursts is probably about as
good now as any time during the peak time, except for a couple of short
enhancements).

There *was* a strong flurry of long overdense bursts today, 1030-1040 Z.
Several other reports from both Europe and North America indicate some
overdense burns in the 2300-0100 period, though there is some question
about this exact time.  Any help?

Best single burn observed by a number of us in North America was Thursday
at 2224 Z!  Not the typical time for the Perseids.

Thus, from trying to watch the real-time NA and European Web sites, plus
the main MS reflectors, the early peak (and the meteors in general) just
weren't there except for the normal background of underdense pings, until
around 1000 Z Friday.  Since then things have been better, and (at 1535 Z)
occasional overdense bursts are occasionally being heard.

How about further updates now around this 2nd peak time period?  Or did the
Perseids just fail to produce much this year?   (Anybody have a relay of
any good visual reports?  But looks like what enhancements there were have
taken place during daylight hours, so we'll have to continue relying on the
radio reports).

(In answer to other question, my contact this morning with VE5UF was 1412
mi or 2273 km, and does not quite equal the North American HSCW record set
by K2TXB and N0KQY.  But was my first non-EME contact over 1400 miles on
144. MHz, and I've been doing this since 1955!  Location, location, location!)

73, Shelby, W8WN

Shelby Ennis, W8WN - EM77bq - KY
            w8wn@arrldot net
     http://www.qsldot net/w8wn/