[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A (somewhat) unusual meteor?

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Richard Livingstone wrote:
> One of the swift Perseid meteors I observed early Aug 13 vanished in the
> usual way and then seemed to reappear with two successive flashes before
> finally disappearing. Can anyone offer an explanation. (It's possible
> another meteor may have began where the former ended, so its path would be
> similar.)

Richard,

I saw something akin to that on 12/13.  There was a +4 Perseid.  Once it
had disappeared, soon after I saw a +2 Perseid some 25 degrees away
lying on the on a prolongation of the first Perseid's path.  The timing
was such that the second appeared as if the first had flared up.  Given
the high rates every once in a while you're going to get that by chance.
I noted two meteors in the log, not one.

Lew didn't see this double, but we did share a wonderful simultaneous
pair of Perseid twins.

How bright was your meteor(s)?  Flaring does occur in some bright
Perseids, but to have a Perseid dip below visibility and reappear
would be unusual.

Malcolm