[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A (somewhat) unusual meteor?

Hello List,

Another interpretation is that a  meteorite is being tumbled and presenting different streamlines to the air  smaller means less area exposed to ablation  and less illumination .  A larger face of the meteoroid can offer more material to the atmosphere for ablation , hence a larger fireball. In the speeds or entry  we see a "wap wap du wap"of larger and smaller incandescence.

One more alternative is that nodules of softer material--  such as triolite or graphite-- are being exposed and burn faster and brighter then the nickle-iron mass producing more incandescence.

Just a thought

Regards,
Elton