[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseid visual observations 11/12 August

Hello all,

Here is a preliminary report on visual observations taken 11/12 August 99.

Observers: Thomas, Sheilds, Sheilds, Williams, Ben
Location: Otter Creek Park; Meade County; KY; USA
GC: 86 02 00 West; 37 56 50 North
Recording methods: (visual: tape recorder/voice timer) (photographic: Pentax
P30 w/ 50mm f3.5 lens)
                                    (radio: Kenwood TS850 xcvr/Ten Tec 1208
6m xvtr QSX at 55.250 Mhz with
                                     CHU time stamp recording to VHS video
cassette tape [audio only])

Period: 0635-0722 UT 12 Aug
LM: 6.0   with scattered cirrus. Cloud  cover to 70% intermittently. Field:
23 hr. +40 deg

Visual count

0635-0640  4 (per)
0640-0650   5 (per)
0650-0700  4  (per)
0700-0710 11 (per)
0710-0720   7 (per)

Notes: Joined David Sheilds, his step-son Josh, Josh's friend Ben and Chris
Thomas at Otter Creek Park, near Brandenburg, KY. Due to work (and other
factors) got a late start for evening's observations. Set up radio
monitoring station described above and started tape at 0504 UT on 12 Aug.
Joined others at observation site at about 0545. Some cirrus clouds ranging
10% to 70% at times.  Unusually dark sky for this area this time of year, no
doubt helped by new moon. LM at about 6.0. Conditions much worse although
with less cloud cover next night (12/13) LM about 4.

Saw spectacular mag 0 while driving back to observing site on Thursday night
(0137 UT 13 August) at about 25 degrees above western horizon. Ran parallel
to horizon across 50 deg. Visible for 1-2 seconds!

I recorded 12 hours of audio pings to tape. Have just begun transcribing
counts. Conditions much worse on 12/13. Visually probably less than 15 total
Perseids.

Will share observation log for 12/13 later. Did catch my second Perseid on
film. Note interesting "double trace" on both meteors I've caught on film.
As though there is a jagged surface with two corners of it glowing. Any
thoughts. It is not lens flare. Stars and aircraft lights clean. More to
come.

Clear skies,
Mark S. Williams
n4okx@n4gn.com