[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Spectra of meteors?

Tom Ashcroft wrote:

Subject: (meteorobs) Spectra of meteors?

>I have a basic question.   What does the spectra of meteors tell us about
>the makeup of the parent comet, asteroid, dust cloud, or whatever?  Is
>there a FAQ on the subject somewhere? Does the spectra show the elemental
>composition of the meteor?
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.
>
>Tom Ashcraft

Hello Tom:
    A meteor spectrum provides the most information about the makeup of a
meteor than any other method.  It does indeed show the elemental composition
of the meteor.  It gives you some information about it's association, comet
dust or asteroid type etc.  Also information about the upper atmosphere and
what physics is taking place with the entry of a hyper velocity impacting
body.  This is all very complex.  I know of no popular book on the subject.
Most of the information is contained in papers published in various
Astronomical Journals or publications, of meeting results, of the IAU Meteor
Division.  You might be able to locate a copy of the book, Meteor Science
and Engineering by D.W.R. McKinley, (1961).  It has some info on meteor
spectra but most of it is on radio techniques.  Another book is, Physics and
Dynamics of Meteors, IAU Symposium No. 33. In particular, the paper "Meteor
Spectra" by Z. Ceplecha.  You might find these in a good university library.
Another publication is one from NASA, NASA SP-319, Evolutionary and Physical
Properties of Meteoroids.  These are the papers presented at a colloquium
held at Albany, NY, June 14-17, 1971.  Probably out of print but you may be
able to find a copy somewhere.
    I general meteor spectra record the following elements, Fe l, Mg l, Mg
ll, Ca l, Ca ll, Mn l, Cr l, Ni l, H l, O l, Si ll, Fe ll, N ll, 0 ll etc.
I have probably missed some...

    Hope this answers some of your questions.

Ed Majden - Amateur Meteor Spectroscopist