[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids 12/13 1999 & question

Yes, the Leonids can really spoil you if you see them early in your meteor
watching career.

John N

"Jim Hale" <kj5tf@madisoncountydot net> on 08/17/99 03:47:56 PM

Please respond to meteorobs@jovian.com

To:   "Meteor List" <meteorobs@jovian.com>
cc:
Subject:  (meteorobs) Perseids 12/13 1999 & question

I watched the shower from 12:00 - 1:30am and saw about 35 the 1st hour.

The last 30 min I saw about 12.

There were 4 or 5 bright ones that last 30 min. but then clouds rolled in
and I packed it in for the nite.

Question;

Is there a shower with 8 - 10 per hour that is mostly bright meteors?

I remember a summer meteor shower years ago that was like this.

As "intertainment" the dim swift perseids dont make a great show. But I'd
say a dozen bright ones an hour might be worth staying up for.

Maybe we are spoiled by the Leonids we saw last fall. We watched 300+ per
hour and many bright green fireballs lit up the ground. One trail lasted
over 30 min.

Jim   -  near Red Star, Arkansas