[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids 12/13 1999 & question

> Question;
>
> Is there a shower with 8 - 10 per hour that is mostly bright meteors?
>
> I remember a summer meteor shower years ago that was like this.
>
> As "intertainment" the dim swift perseids dont make a great show. But I'd
> say a dozen bright ones an hour might be worth staying up for.

Don't know of any, but it's possible you caught the Perseids a bit away from maximum, or that time sweetened your view of this venerable shower. I've always considered the Perseids to be rather bright compared to other major showers, though not rich in fireballs except during the "new peak". But in 1993 I remember quite a few Perseid fireballs, with moderate rates for much of the night (this is from the West Coast; farther east was supposed to be better).

Besides, I hear that to be "entertained" nowadays you need 64-bit graphics with Surround Sound and a vibrating joystick.

> Maybe we are spoiled by the Leonids we saw last fall. We watched 300+ per
> hour and many bright green fireballs lit up the ground. One trail lasted
> over 30 min.

I wish I had been spoiled, but oh, the clouds! :(
Just remember that it may be a very long time before you see anything like that again...

But i'm still very happy having the 94 Perseids as my best meteor memory: 179 in one hour with quite a few fireballs and simultaneous meteors.

1985 Geminids were very impressive, too, but a lot colder. :)

--
Wes Stone
Cloudytown, USA