[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids 12/13 1999 & question

It could be the alpha-Capricornids, which are also famed for their
fireballs.  From the UK where I've done most of my observing, the low
elevation reduces the observed rate markedly.  From Florida under the
dark skies of 1960 you could well have seen 8--10 alpha-Capricornids at
peak activity.

In a BAA Meteor Section circular 25 years ago there was a plot
of alpha-Cap fireball freqency with solar longitude, showing
multiple maxima.  You could have witnessed the strongest of those.

Malcolm