[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Question

Jim Wray asked:
> I am curious about the relationship between the brightness of a meteor and
> the mass of the meteoroid that causes it.

Since nobody else has answered (we're still Lewless) I'll take a stab.

For matters like this I refer to a review paper by David Hughes in
"Cosmic Dust" (1978).  The field might have developed in the meantime
but this was regarded as quite challenging to determine and it's
within the 40-year time frame.

There are theoretical and empirical equations.  More or less the
luminosity is proportional to mass, so the magnitude is proportional
to -2.5log10(mass).  Much more significant is the meteor entry
velocity.  The luminosity goes as velocity to at least the third
(empirical) or fourth power (theoretical).  For illustration consider
the topical Perseids at 59 km/s and the kappa-Cygnids at 25 km/s.
Given meteoroids of the same mass and similar characteristics, the
Perseid will be 2.7 to 3.7 magnitudes brighter.  There are other
factors both instrinsic such as the structure and composition of the
meteoroids, and due to observer perception.

Malcolm