[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: NM naked-eye meteors+ more

 ---- you wrote:

> I had hoped that some planetaria would do Leonid simulations, both for
> entertainment, but also to train/calibrate observers for an outburst.
> Whilst Sirko's software is excellent, it doesn't mimic the wide field
> of view lying under the celestial sphere.  Have readers heard of any such
> planetarium shows?
>
> Malcolm

The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland has a new Digistar II projector, and in their feature presentation they highlighted the Perseids and Leonids. The meteors on the dome are, what should I say, better than any planetarium meteors I've seen before. Rates for both showers were probably 600-1200/hour (outbursts only a couple of minutes long) during the show (got to entertain them people), and the meteors were a bit too slow, but who knows?  Don't know how well they can vary magnitude and speed.

--
Wes Stone
Cloudytown, USA