[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Planetarium meteors

Pierre et al -

You wrote:
>In August 1991, Montreal's (Quebec) Dow Planetarium had a month long
>or so show...  Most of the show focused on the actual night sky and
>featured simulations of Perseids radiating from the correct area...
>I'm not aware if that show has been repeated again on other occasions?

Could be, Pierre? The planetarium shows up here are often recycled over
time... at least among those planetariums in Canada that haven't been closed
down!  One of the Ottawa RASC meteor coordinators from years back writes
planetarium shows, based out of Vancouver... so we do have a meteor
influence on the planetarium front! ;>

>Also, several years ago I used to enjoy doing my own crude meteor
>simulations to train new observers.... in preparation for a group meteor
>watch... when our real organized Perseid watch went underway for the 1991
peak, the group was a lot better prepared.

Perhaps this is something you want to do now to help out the new people that
you will be coordinating, as the RASC Ottawa meteor coordinator?
Personally, I believe in teaching people under a real sky, but the
planetarium method might be easier for you to use if the observers can't
make a long drive to the out-of-town sites you observe at  - Casselman and
Foymount?

Several things might help you out.  I realize that your original planetarium
was a tent apparatus, with minimal seating.  However, one of the Ottawa
members currently owns a Starlab planetarium, and does both educational
shows for local schools (under the name The Starry Room), and sometimes
presentations for the RASC group (as I'm sure you're aware).  However, what
you might not know is that another member of the Ottawa group is currently
working on simulating meteors by video and animation means?  He has a
complete video studio setup, with the equipment and software to do
astronomical simulations and animations.  I believe his company name is
ShadowForge.  Perhaps it might be worth your while as RASC Ottawa meteor
coordinator to check it out?

Maybe see if you could combine the planetarium concept with video meteors to
help train some of the interested observers here in <1999>?

Clear Skies!

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada