[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bright Mid-west - South west Bolide?

At 02:22 AM 8/20/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm hearing of a "tremendous" bolide that has reports coming from Kansas,
>Nebraska, Texas, and 5 different places in New Mexico.

I got one report:

August 15-16, 1999 05:18 UTC, 23:18 MDT

Interstate 70 in western Kansas, Mile marker 37, westbound

Brightness: Between 1st quarter and full moon

The observer commented:

"Thunderstorms were in the area, fireball emerged from the base of a cloud
and went to the ground.  Difficult to estimate distance, but my guess is it
was 25-30 miles away (much further and I think it would have been obscured
by clouds).
Color was red as it emerged from cloud and turned green before reaching
horizon."

He saw it disappear at an azimuth of 225 true.

JB