[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Some Perseid photos

Hi Kevin and All

The lights along the horizon seem to go the other way if anything.  The
stars seem normal also near the end of the meteor.  Normal differential
refraction ought to make it appear to rise, if I have it figured right.
Lacking anything to the contrary I would opt for the effect to be in the
meteor trajectory.  Just a guess of course :)

Clear Dark Skies to All

Cheers

Jim Wray

------------------------

At 02:17 AM 8/20/99 EDT, you wrote:
>HI All,
>
>In the meteor folder of AOL's astronomy BBS there is this guy who is showing
>his Perseid photos. I thought I would let you all in on the links so
everyone
>could see. When you see the first one can someone tell me if thats a camera
>artifact near the head of the meteor? The message below was written 8/16.
>Kevin K
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Here are some quick scans of a couple shots taken Thursday night. I haven't
>had time to correct the color properly, but I thought you might find the
>images interesting.
>
><A
>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg">http://ww
w.c
>armelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg</A>
>
><A
>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6detail.jpg">htt
p:/
>/wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6detail.jpg</A>
>
><A
>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids50mm1.4.jpg">htt
p:/
>/wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids50mm1.4.jpg</A>
>
>They were taken from the observing deck of MIRA's Oliver Observatory on
Chews