[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FW Excerpt from CCNet-Bolide

CCNet DIGEST, 20 August 1999
----------------------------

     POEM OF THE DAY (suggested by Rolf Sinclair)

     I would rather be ashes than dust!
     I would rather that my spark should burn out
     in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
     I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
     of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
     The function of man is to live, not to exist.
     I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
     I shall use my time.

     Attributed to Jack London (1876-1916).
     [See <http://sunsitedot berkeley.dot edu/London/credo.html>.]

(1) AUGUST 15 BOLIDE IN SOUTHWEST US
    Mark Boslough <mbboslo@sandiadot gov>

=============
(1) AUGUST 15 BOLIDE IN SOUTHWEST US

>From Mark Boslough <mbboslo@sandiadot gov>

We captured a bright fireball on videotape Sunday evening August 15
at 11:18 PM local time in Albuquerque, NM (05:18 UT). Our radiometer
showed a peak magnitude of about -16.5. The object was due west of
Albuquerque. We estimate the range to be about 300 km based on our
elevation angle and eyewitness reports from El Paso, TX. The absolute
(100 km) magnitude is therefore about -19. The worldwide mean
frequency of bolides of this brightness is 10 to 20 per year.
Comparison to Ceplecha's data suggest a pre-atmospheric mass on the
order of one ton. There were intense thunderstorms over NW New Mexico
and NE Arizona at that time, so it is unlikely that a precise
trajectory will be determined. Our video is avaliable on the web
at http://www.cs.sandiadot gov/SEL/apps/energy/meteor.htm

Mark Boslough
Richard Spalding